Susan R Criswell, MD
Assistant Professor of Neurology
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Honor Medical Society, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 2000
- Chancellor’s Scholar for cumulative 4.000 GPA, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1997
- Gonzalez-Cuyar LF, Nelson G, Criswell SR, Ho P, Lonzanida JA, Checkoway H, Seixas N, Gelman BB, Evanoff BA, Murray J, Zhang J, Racette BA. Quantitative neuropathology associated with chronic manganese exposure in South African mine workers. Neurotoxicology. 2013 Dec 26. pii: S0161-813X(13)00189-7.
- Lundin JI, Checkoway H, Criswell SR, Hobson AJ, Harris RC, Swisher LM, Evanoff BA, Racette BA. Screening for early detection of parkinsonism using a self-administered questionnaire: A cross-sectional epidemiologic study. Neurotoxicology. 2013 Sep 12. pii: S0161-813X(13)00134-4.
- Hacker CD, Perlmutter JS, Criswell SR, Ances BM, Snyder AZ. Resting state functional connectivity of the striatum in Parkinson’s disease. Brain. 2012 Dec;135(Pt 12):3699-711.
- Racette BA, Criswell SR, Lundin JI, Hobson A, Seixas N, Kotzbauer PT, Evanoff BA, Perlmutter JS, Zhang J, Sheppard L, Checkoway H. Increased risk of parkinsonism associated with welding exposure. Neurotoxicology. 2012 Oct;33(5):1356-61.
- Racette BA, Aschner M, Guilarte TR, Dydak U, Criswell SR, Zheng W. Pathophysiology of manganese-associated neurotoxicity. Neurotoxicology. 2012 Aug;33(4):881-6.
- Criswell SR, Perlmutter JS, Huang JL, Golchin N, Flores HP, Hobson A, Aschner M, Erikson KM, Checkoway H, Racette BA. Basal ganglia intensity indices and diffusion weighted imaging in manganese-exposed welders. Occup Environ Med. 2012 Jun;69(6):437-43.
- Criswell SR, Perlmutter JS, Crippin JS, Videen TO, Moerlein SM, Flores HP, Birke AM, Racette BA. Reduced uptake of FDOPA PET in end-stage liver disease with elevated manganese levels. Arch Neurol. 2012 Mar;69(3):394-7.
- Harris RC, Lundin JI, Criswell SR, Hobson A, Swisher LM, Evanoff BA, Checkoway H, Racette BA. Effects of parkinsonism on health status in welding exposed workers. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2011 Nov;17(9):672-6.
- Criswell SR, Perlmutter JS, Videen TO, Moerlein SM, Flores HP, Birke AM, Racette BA. Reduced uptake of [¹⁸F]FDOPA PET in asymptomatic welders with occupational manganese exposure. Neurology. 2011 Apr 12;76(15):1296-301.
- Wright Willis A, Evanoff BA, Lian M, Criswell SR, Racette BA. Geographic and ethnic variation in Parkinson disease: a population-based study of US Medicare beneficiaries. Neuroepidemiology. 2010;34(3):143-51.
- Racette BA, Good LM, Kissel AM, Criswell SR, Perlmutter JS. A population-based study of parkinsonism in an Amish community. Neuroepidemiology. 2009;33(3):225-30.
Dr. Criswell is a fellowship trained Movement Disorder specialist with postdoctoral degree in clinical investigation. Her research interests are focused in evaluating environmental risk factors for parkinsonism. Specific intrestes include the use of PET and MRI and as a non-invasive biomarkers of neurotoxic exposures.