Nupur Ghoshal, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Neurology
- Neurology - Certified
- Recognized as one of the Top 44 Providers with the Highest Patient Satisfaction, Washington University School of Medicine, 2010
- Invited Speaker, Keynote address, Northwestern MSTP Retreat
- Alene and Meyer Kopolow Award, Achievement in Direct Patient Care and Aging Research, 2009
- Richard and Mildred Poletsky Award, Contributions to Dementia Care and Research, 2009
- Dr. Scholl Scholar at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN; Potential Future Constributions in Biomedicine, 1994
- Ghoshal N, Cairns NJ. Unravelling the mysteries of frontotemporal dementia. Mo Med. 2013 Sep-Oct;110(5):411-6. Review.
- Hurth K, Tarawneh R, Ghoshal N, Benzinger TL, Clifford DB, Geschwind M, Morris JC, Galvin JE, Schmidt RE, Cairns NJ. Whipple’s Disease Masquerades as Dementia With Lewy Bodies. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2013 Aug 29. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
- Monsell SE, Mock C, Roe CM, Ghoshal N, Morris JC, Cairns NJ, Kukull W. Comparison of symptomatic and asymptomatic persons with Alzheimer disease neuropathology. Neurology. 2013 Jun 4;80(23):2121-9.
- Ghoshal N, Dearborn JT, Wozniak DF, Cairns NJ. Core features of frontotemporal dementia recapitulated in progranulin knockout mice. Neurobiol Dis. 2012 Jan;45(1):395-408.
- Roe CM, Fagan AM, Williams MM, Ghoshal N, Aeschleman M, Grant EA, Marcus DS, Mintun MA, Holtzman DM, Morris JC. Improving CSF biomarker accuracy in predicting prevalent and incident Alzheimer disease. Neurology. 2011 Feb 8;76(6):501-10.
- Roe CM, Mintun MA, Ghoshal N, Williams MM, Grant EA, Marcus DS, Morris JC. Alzheimer disease identification using amyloid imaging and reserve variables: proof of concept. Neurology. 2010 Jul 6;75(1):42-8.
- Ghoshal N, Cali I, Perrin RJ, Josephson SA, Sun N, Gambetti P, Morris JC. Codistribution of amyloid beta plaques and spongiform degeneration in familial Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease with the E200K-129M haplotype. Arch Neurol. 2009 Oct;66(10):1240-6.
Dr. Ghoshal’s research has focused on mechanisms underlying neurodegenerative disorders beginning with the tau protein in Alzheimer’s disease and more recently with the progranulin protein in frontotemporal dementia. She has had the opportunity to present her work at the American Academy of Neurology (AAN), International Conference on Alzheimer’s Disease (ICAD), and Society for Neuroscience (SFN) meetings. During residency she was the Chief Resident of Neurology and was inducted into AOA, the medical honor society. During fellowship, she received the Poletsky Award and the Kopolow Award both for dementia care and research.