Christina A Gurnett, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Neurology
- Pediatric Neurology - Certified
- Neurology - Certified
- Clinical Neurophysiology - Certified
- Listed in Best Doctors in America, 2013 (Best Doctors, Inc.)
- Early Career Award of the Epilepsy Foundation/Milken Family Foundation, 2005
- Fritz Dreifuss Award of the National Epifellows Foundation, 2004
- Affinity Bioreagents Travel Award, 1997
- Biophysical Society- Membrane Biophysics Subgroup Award for Best Presentation, 1996
- Edward Heath Award for Best Research Presentation, 1995
- American Heart Associate Predoctoral Fellowship, Iowa Affiliate, 1994-7
- Alvarado DM, Yang P, Druley TE, Lovett M, Gurnett CA. Multiplexed direct genomic selection (MDiGS): a pooled BAC capture approach for highly accurate CNV and SNP/INDEL detection. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014 Mar 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Zhang TX, Haller G, Lin P, Alvarado DM, Hecht JT, Blanton SH, Stephens Richards B, Rice JP, Dobbs MB, Gurnett CA. Genome-wide association study identifies new disease loci for isolated clubfoot. J Med Genet. 2014 May;51(5):334-9.
- Vanoye CG, Gurnett CA, Holland KD, George AL Jr, Kearney JA. Novel SCN3A variants associated with focal epilepsy in children. Neurobiol Dis. 2014 Feb;62:313-22.
- Dahiya S, Haydon DH, Alvarado D, Gurnett CA, Gutmann DH, Leonard JR. BRAF(V600E) mutation is a negative prognosticator in pediatric ganglioglioma. Acta Neuropathol. 2013 Jun;125(6):901-10.
- Alvarado DM, Buchan JG, Frick SL, Herzenberg JE, Dobbs MB, Gurnett CA. Copy number analysis of 413 isolated talipes equinovarus patients suggests role for transcriptional regulators of early limb development. Eur J Hum Genet. 2013 Apr;21(4):373-80.
- Kruse LM, Buchan JG, Gurnett CA, Dobbs MB. Polygenic threshold model with sex dimorphism in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: the Carter effect. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Aug 15;94(16):1485-91.
- Dobbs MB, Gurnett CA. Genetics of clubfoot. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2012 Jan;21(1):7-9.
- Paciorkowski AR, Thio LL, Rosenfeld JA, Gajecka M, Gurnett CA, Kulkarni S, Chung WK, Marsh ED, Gentile M, Reggin JD, Wheless JW, Balasubramanian S, Kumar R, Christian SL, Marini C, Guerrini R, Maltsev N, Shaffer LG, Dobyns WB. Copy number variants and infantile spasms: evidence for abnormalities in ventral forebrain development and pathways of synaptic function. Eur J Hum Genet. 2011 Dec;19(12):1238-45.
- Alvarado DM, McCall K, Aferol H, Silva MJ, Garbow JR, Spees WM, Patel T, Siegel M, Dobbs MB, Gurnett CA. Pitx1 haploinsufficiency causes clubfoot in humans and a clubfoot-like phenotype in mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2011 Oct 15;20(20):3943-52.
- Alvarado DM, Buchan JG, Gurnett CA, Dobbs MB. Exome sequencing identifies an MYH3 mutation in a family with distal arthrogryposis type 1. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011 Jun 1;93(11):1045-50.
- Merrill LJ, Gurnett CA, Siegel M, Sonavane S, Dobbs MB. Vascular abnormalities correlate with decreased soft tissue volumes in idiopathic clubfoot. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011 May;469(5):1442-9.
- Merrill LJ, Gurnett CA, Connolly AM, Pestronk A, Dobbs MB. Skeletal muscle abnormalities and genetic factors related to vertical talus. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011 Apr;469(4):1167-74.
- Licis AK, Desruisseau DM, Yamada KA, Duntley SP, Gurnett CA. Novel genetic findings in an extended family pedigree with sleepwalking. Neurology. 2011 Jan 4;76(1):49-52.
- Alvarado DM, Aferol H, McCall K, Huang JB, Techy M, Buchan J, Cady J, Gonzales PR, Dobbs MB, Gurnett CA. Familial isolated clubfoot is associated with recurrent chromosome 17q23.1q23.2 microduplications containing TBX4. Am J Hum Genet. 2010 Jul 9;87(1):154-60.
- Mefford HC, Muhle H, Ostertag P, von Spiczak S, Buysse K, Baker C, Franke A, Malafosse A, Genton P, Thomas P, Gurnett CA, Schreiber S, Bassuk AG, Guipponi M, Stephani U, Helbig I, Eichler EE. Genome-wide copy number variation in epilepsy: novel susceptibility loci in idiopathic generalized and focal epilepsies. PLoS Genet. 2010 May 20;6(5):e1000962.
Dr Gurnett received her MD and PhD degrees from the University of Iowa, where she studied brain and skeletal muscle ion channel physiology with Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator, Kevin Campbell, PhD. She completed pediatric neurology residency and Pediatric Epilepsy fellowships at Washington University in St Louis. She is board certified in Neurology with special qualification in Pediatric Neurology, and is also board certified in Clinical Neurophysiology. She is a member of the American Epilepsy Society, the American Society of Human Genetics, and sits on the Professional Advisory Board of the Epilepsy Foundation, St Louis Chapter. In 2004, she received the Fritz Dreifuss Award for research from the National Epifellows Foundation. She was the recipient of the Early Career Award of the American Epilepsy Society/Milken Family Foundation in 2005. In 2007, she established her laboratory at Washington University with support from the Children’s Discovery Institute.