Beau M Ances, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Neurology
HIV associated neurocognitive impairment (HAND)
- Dana Foundation Brain-Immuno Imaging Scholar- 2008-2010
- NIH Mentored Clinical Scientist Development Award (K23), NIMH – 2007-present
- American Federation for AIDS Research Fellow (amFAR) Fellowship -2006-2008
- University of California San Diego Department of Neurology Junior Faculty Teaching Award- 2008
- Universitywide AIDS Research Program (UARP) Clinical Fellowship- 2005-2006
- Arthur Asbury Neurology Resident Award for Clinical Excellence in Neurology- 2005
- Penn Pearl Award Resident Teaching Award for excellence in medical student education-2004
- Eric C. Raps Memorial Prize for excellence in Clinical Neurology by a medical student- 2001
- NIH National Research Service (NRSA) Fellowship Award-1997-2001
- Philadelphia Society for Neuroscience Graduate Award- 1999
- NIH Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) Fellowship-1994-1997
- Masters MC, Ances BM. Role of Neuroimaging in HIV-Associated Neurocognitive Disorders. Semin Neurol. 2014 Feb;34(1):89-102.
- Brier MR, Thomas JB, Fagan AM, Hassenstab J, Holtzman DM, Benzinger TL, Morris JC, Ances BM. Functional connectivity and graph theory in preclinical Alzheimer’s disease. Neurobiol Aging. 2014 Apr;35(4):757-68.
- Arbeláez AM, Su Y, Thomas JB, Hauch AC, Hershey T, Ances BM. Comparison of regional cerebral blood flow responses to hypoglycemia using pulsed arterial spin labeling and positron emission tomography. PLoS One. 2013;8(3):e60085.
- Cross S, Önen N, Gase A, Overton ET, Ances BM. Identifying risk factors for HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders using the international HIV dementia scale. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2013 Dec;8(5):1114-22.
- Benzinger TL, Blazey T, Jack CR Jr, Koeppe RA, Su Y, Xiong C, Raichle ME, Snyder AZ, Ances BM, Bateman RJ, Cairns NJ, Fagan AM, Goate A, Marcus DS, Aisen PS, Christensen JJ, Ercole L, Hornbeck RC, Farrar AM, Aldea P, Jasielec MS, Owen CJ, Xie X, Mayeux R, Brickman A, McDade E, Klunk W, Mathis CA, Ringman J, Thompson PM, Ghetti B, Saykin AJ, Sperling RA, Johnson KA, Salloway S, Correia S, Schofield PR, Masters CL, Rowe C, Villemagne VL, Martins R, Ourselin S, Rossor MN, Fox NC, Cash DM, Weiner MW, Holtzman DM, Buckles VD, Moulder K, Morris JC. Regional variability of imaging biomarkers in autosomal dominant Alzheimer’s disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Nov 19;110(47):E4502-9.
- Clifford DB, Ances BM. HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder. Lancet Infect Dis. 2013 Nov;13(11):976-86.
- Wang L, Brier MR, Snyder AZ, Thomas JB, Fagan AM, Xiong C, Benzinger TL, Holtzman DM, Morris JC, Ances BM. Cerebrospinal fluid Aβ42, phosphorylated Tau181, and resting-state functional connectivity. JAMA Neurol. 2013 Oct;70(10):1242-8.
- Bucelli RC, Ances BM. Diagnosis and evaluation of a patient with rapidly progressive dementia. Mo Med. 2013 Sep-Oct;110(5):422-8. Review.
- Schindler SE, McConathy J, Ances BM, Diamond MI. Advances in diagnostic testing for Alzheimer disease. Mo Med. 2013 Sep-Oct;110(5):401-5. Review.
- Duchek JM, Balota DA, Thomas JB, Snyder AZ, Rich P, Benzinger TL, Fagan AM, Holtzman DM, Morris JC, Ances BM. Relationship between Stroop performance and resting state functional connectivity in cognitively normal older adults. Neuropsychology. 2013 Sep;27(5):516-28.
- Maccotta L, He BJ, Snyder AZ, Eisenman LN, Benzinger TL, Ances BM, Corbetta M, Hogan RE. Impaired and facilitated functional networks in temporal lobe epilepsy. Neuroimage Clin. 2013 Jun 25;2:862-72.
- Longbrake EE, Ances BM, Viets RB, Clifford DB. Susac syndrome in a patient with human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Neurovirol. 2013 Jun;19(3):270-3.
- Solomon IH, Perrin RJ, Clifford DB, Ances BM. Tumefactive demyelination in a patient with human immunodeficiency virus. J Neurovirol. 2013 Jun;19(3):265-9.
- Thomas JB, Brier MR, Snyder AZ, Vaida FF, Ances BM. Pathways to neurodegeneration: effects of HIV and aging on resting-state functional connectivity. Neurology. 2013 Mar 26;80(13):1186-93.
- Hacker CD, Perlmutter JS, Criswell SR, Ances BM, Snyder AZ. Resting state functional connectivity of the striatum in Parkinson’s disease. Brain. 2012 Dec;135(Pt 12):3699-711
Dr. Ances is member of the American Academy of Neurology, Society of Neuroscience, International Society for NeuroVirology, Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, International Society for Magnetic Resonance Imaging, and Human Brain Mapping Society. He serves as peer reviewer for journals including Lancet Neurology, Brain, Journal of Neuroscience, Neurology, Annals of Neurology, Archives of Neurology, NeuroImage, Human Brian Mapping, and Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism.
In the US, HIV infection affects nearly 1 million people. HIV quickly crosses the blood brain barrier soon after infection and reservoir of HIV develops in the brain leading to HIV associated neurocognitive impairment (HAND) – impairments in neurocognition, slowed motor movements, and behavioral disturbances. Research in the Ances laboratory and collaborative group is focused on the development of novel diagnostic and therapeutic strategies for HAND.
More HIV infected (HIV+) individuals are living longer due to the introduction of medications for treating the virus, combination antiretroviral therapy (cART). While the overall incidence (the number of new cases) of HAND has not changed since cART, the prevalence (the total number of cases) of HAND has risen with ~20% of all HIV+ subjects eventually developing HAND. Even mild forms of HAND impair daily functioning, reduce quality of life, and cause greater unemployment. Since HAND is a significant burden to HIV infected persons, caregivers, and the healthcare system, the development of effective treatment strategies for diagnosing and treating HAND are of great public health importance.