Arun S Varadhachary, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Neurology; Head, Neurohospitalist Section
- Head, Neurohospitalist Section
- Neurology - Certified
- NIH Kirschstein-NRSA Institutional Physician-Scientist Training Grant, 2009-2010
- American Myositis Association Research Fellowship, 2010- ongoing
- Varadhachary AS, Weihl CC, Pestronk A. Mitochondrial pathology in immune and inflammatory myopathies. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2010 Nov;22(6):651-7.
- Ju JS, Varadhachary AS, Miller SE, Weihl CC. Quantitation of “autophagic flux” in mature skeletal muscle. Autophagy. 2010 Oct;6(7):929-35.
- Nicolo D, Varadhachary AS, Monestier M. Atherosclerosis, antiphospholipid syndrome, and antiphospholipid antibodies. Front Biosci. 2007 Jan 1;12:2171-82. Review.
- Varadhachary AS, Monestier M, Salgame P. Reciprocal induction of IL-10 and IL-12 from macrophages by low-density lipoprotein and its oxidized forms. Cell Immunol. 2001 Oct 10;213(1):45-51.
- Varadhachary AS, Edidin M, Hanlon AM, Peter ME, Krammer PH, Salgame P. Phosphatidylinositol 3′-kinase blocks CD95 aggregation and caspase-8 cleavage at the death-inducing signaling complex by modulating lateral diffusion of CD95. J Immunol. 2001 Jun 1;166(11):6564-9.
- Varadhachary AS, Peter ME, Perdow SN, Krammer PH, Salgame P. Selective up-regulation of phosphatidylinositol 3′-kinase activity in Th2 cells inhibits caspase-8 cleavage at the death-inducing complex: a mechanism for Th2 resistance from Fas-mediated apoptosis. J Immunol. 1999 Nov 1;163(9):4772-9.
- Varadhachary AS, Salgame P. CD95 mediated T cell apoptosis and its relevance to immune deviation. Oncogene. 1998 Dec 24;17(25):3271-6. Review.
- Varadhachary AS, Perdow SN, Hu C, Ramanarayanan M, Salgame P. Differential ability of T cell subsets to undergo activation-induced cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997 May 27;94(11):5778-83.
- Salgame P, Varadhachary AS, Primiano LL, Fincke JE, Muller S, Monestier M. An ELISA for detection of apoptosis. Nucleic Acids Res. 1997 Feb 1;25(3):680-1.
Dr. Varadhachary is an Instructor of Neurology in the Neuromuscular and General Neurology Divisions. His clinical interests include autoimmune and inflammatory disorders of the peripheral and central nervous system, degenerative and metabolic neurologic disorders and neurologic manifestations of systemic illness. His research explores the relationship between inflammation and mitochondrial dysfunction in skeletal muscle.