Anne H Cross, MD
Head of the Neuroimmunology (MS) Section—Adult Neurology; the Manny and Rosalyn Rosenthal - Dr. John Trotter MS Center Chair in Neuroimmunology
- Professor, Neurology
- Listed in Best Doctors in America, 1996-2013 (Best Doctors, Inc.)
- Research Hall of Fame, National MS Society, inducted 2006
- American Neurological Association, 1996
- Fellow of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, 1987-1990
- Cross AH, Naismith RT. Established and novel disease-modifying treatments in multiple sclerosis. J Intern Med. 2014 Apr;275(4):350-63.
- Lin TH, Spees WM, Chiang CW, Trinkaus K, Cross AH, Song SK. Diffusion fMRI detects white-matter dysfunction in mice with acute optic neuritis. Neurobiol Dis. 2014 Mar 13;67C:1-8.
- Luo J, Yablonskiy DA, Hildebolt CF, Lancia S, Cross AH. Gradient echo magnetic resonance imaging correlates with clinical measures and allows visualization of veins within multiple sclerosis lesions. Mult Scler. 2014 Mar;20(3):349-55.
- Wen J, Cross AH, Yablonskiy DA. On the role of physiological fluctuations in quantitative gradient echo MRI: implications for GEPCI, QSM, and SWI. Magn Reson Med. 2014 Jan 30.
- Fenoglio C, Ridolfi E, Cantoni C, De Riz M, Bonsi R, Serpente M, Villa C, Pietroboni AM, Naismith RT, Alvarez E, Parks BJ, Bresolin N, Cross AH, Piccio LM, Galimberti D, Scarpini E. Decreased circulating miRNA levels in patients with primary progressive multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2013 Dec;19(14):1938-42.
- Angiari S, Rossi B, Piccio L, Zinselmeyer BH, Budui S, Zenaro E, Della Bianca V, Bach SD, Scarpini E, Bolomini-Vittori M, Piacentino G, Dusi S, Laudanna C, Cross AH, Miller MJ, Constantin G. Regulatory T cells suppress the late phase of the immune response in lymph nodes through P-selectin glycoprotein ligand-1. J Immunol. 2013 Dec 1;191(11):5489-500.
- Longbrake EE, Parks BJ, Cross AH. Monoclonal antibodies as disease modifying therapy in multiple sclerosis. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2013 Nov;13(11):390.
- Cross AH, Klein RS. Comment: assessing humoral immunocompetence after alemtuzumab treatment in MS. Neurology. 2013 Sep 3;81(10):875.
- Querol L, Clark PL, Bailey MA, Cotsapas C, Cross AH, Hafler DA, Kleinstein SH, Lee JY, Yaari G, Willis SN, O’Connor KC. Protein array-based profiling of CSF identifies RBPJ as an autoantigen in multiple sclerosis. Neurology. 2013 Sep 10;81(11):956-63.
- Piccio L, Cantoni C, Henderson JG, Hawiger D, Ramsbottom M, Mikesell R, Ryu J, Hsieh CS, Cremasco V, Haynes W, Dong LQ, Chan L, Galimberti D, Cross AH. Lack of adiponectin leads to increased lymphocyte activation and increased disease severity in a mouse model of multiple sclerosis. Eur J Immunol. 2013 Aug;43(8):2089-100.
- Alvarez E, Piccio L, Mikesell RJ, Klawiter EC, Parks BJ, Naismith RT, Cross AH. CXCL13 is a biomarker of inflammation in multiple sclerosis, neuromyelitis optica, and other neurological conditions. Mult Scler. 2013 Aug;19(9):1204-8.
- Isobe N, Gourraud PA, Harbo HF, Caillier SJ, Santaniello A, Khankhanian P, Maiers M, Spellman S, Cereb N, Yang S, Pando MJ, Piccio L, Cross AH, De Jager PL, Cree BA, Hauser SL, Oksenberg JR. Genetic risk variants in African Americans with multiple sclerosis. Neurology. 2013 Jul 16;81(3):219-27.
- Naismith RT, Xu J, Klawiter EC, Lancia S, Tutlam NT, Wagner JM, Qian P, Trinkaus K, Song SK, Cross AH. Spinal cord tract diffusion tensor imaging reveals disability substrate in demyelinating disease. Neurology. 2013 Jun 11;80(24):2201-9.
- Mechelli R, Umeton R, Policano C, Annibali V, Coarelli G, Ricigliano VA, Vittori D, Fornasiero A, Buscarinu MC; International Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium; Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium,2, Romano S, Salvetti M, Ristori G. A “candidate-interactome” aggregate analysis of genome-wide association data in multiple sclerosis. PLoS One. 2013 May 16;8(5):e63300.
- Xu J, Shimony JS, Klawiter EC, Snyder AZ, Trinkaus K, Naismith RT, Benzinger TL, Cross AH, Song SK. Improved in vivo diffusion tensor imaging of human cervical spinal cord. Neuroimage. 2013 Feb 15;67:64-76.
The goal of our research is to understand the mechanisms involved in pathogenesis of inflammation and demyelination in the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). Our studies primarily employ an animal model for the human disease multiple sclerosis, known as experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE). We are currently funded to study a) antibodies to myelin constituents and B cells in EAE and in MS; b) mechanisms of cytokine regulation in MS; and c) to develop imaging techniques to identify demyelination versus axonal loss in the CNS of animals and patients. We are also funded to perform a Phase II trial of B cell depletion in MS patients that are not optimally treated with standard agents.