Anne M Connolly, MD
Professor of Neurology
- Professor, Pediatrics
- Pediatric Neurology
- Listed in Best Doctors in America, 2005-2013 (Best Doctors, Inc.)
- Bibee KP, Cheng YJ, Ching JK, Marsh JN, Li AJ, Keeling RM, Connolly AM, Golumbek PT, Myerson JW, Hu G, Chen J, Shannon WD, Lanza GM, Weihl CC, Wickline SA. Rapamycin nanoparticles target defective autophagy in muscular dystrophy to enhance both strength and cardiac function. FASEB J. 2014 Feb 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Allen HD, Flanigan KM, Thrush PT, Dvorchik I, Yin H, Canter C, Connolly AM, Parrish M, McDonald CM, Braunlin E, Colan SD, Day J, Darras B, Mendell JR. A randomized, double-blind trial of lisinopril and losartan for the treatment of cardiomyopathy in duchenne muscular dystrophy. PLoS Curr. 2013 Dec 12;5. pii: ecurrents.md.2cc69a1dae4be7dfe2bcb420024ea865.
- Connolly AM, Florence JM, Cradock MM, Malkus EC, Schierbecker JR, Siener CA, Wulf CO, Anand P, Golumbek PT, Zaidman CM, Philip Miller J, Lowes LP, Alfano LN, Viollet-Callendret L, Flanigan KM, Mendell JR, McDonald CM, Goude E, Johnson L, Nicorici A, Karachunski PI, Day JW, Dalton JC, Farber JM, Buser KK, Darras BT, Kang PB, Riley SO, Shriber E, Parad R, Bushby K, Eagle M; MDA DMD Clinical Research Network. Motor and cognitive assessment of infants and young boys with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: results from the Muscular Dystrophy Association DMD Clinical Research Network. Neuromuscul Disord. 2013 Jul;23(7):529-39.
- Connolly AM, Kim HJ, Bridwell KH. Corticosteroids can reduce the severity of scoliosis in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Jun 19;95(12):e86.
- Escolar DM, Zimmerman A, Bertorini T, Clemens PR, Connolly AM, Mesa L, Gorni K, Kornberg A, Kolski H, Kuntz N, Nevo Y, Tesi-Rocha C, Nagaraju K, Rayavarapu S, Hache LP, Mayhew JE, Florence J, Hu F, Arrieta A, Henricson E, Leshner RT, Mah JK. Pentoxifylline as a rescue treatment for DMD: a randomized double-blind clinical trial. Neurology. 2012 Mar 20;78(12):904-13.
- Escolar DM, Hache LP, Clemens PR, Cnaan A, McDonald CM, Viswanathan V, Kornberg AJ, Bertorini TE, Nevo Y, Lotze T, Pestronk A, Ryan MM, Monasterio E, Day JW, Zimmerman A, Arrieta A, Henricson E, Mayhew J, Florence J, Hu F, Connolly AM. Randomized, blinded trial of weekend vs daily prednisone in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Neurology. 2011 Aug 2;77(5):444-52.
- Spurney CF, Rocha CT, Henricson E, Florence J, Mayhew J, Gorni K, Pasquali L, Pestronk A, Martin GR, Hu F, Nie L, Connolly AM, Escolar DM; Cooperative International Neuromuscular Research Group Investigators. CINRG pilot trial of coenzyme Q10 in steroid-treated Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Muscle Nerve. 2011 Aug;44(2):174-8.
- Merrill LJ, Gurnett CA, Connolly AM, Pestronk A, Dobbs MB. Skeletal muscle abnormalities and genetic factors related to vertical talus. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011 Apr;469(4):1167-74.
- Zaidman CM, Connolly AM, Malkus EC, Florence JM, Pestronk A. Quantitative ultrasound using backscatter analysis in Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophy. Neuromuscul Disord. 2010 Dec;20(12):805-9.
- Gurnett CA, Desruisseau DM, McCall K, Choi R, Meyer ZI, Talerico M, Miller SE, Ju JS, Pestronk A, Connolly AM, Druley TE, Weihl CC, Dobbs MB. Myosin binding protein C1: a novel gene for autosomal dominant distal arthrogryposis type 1. Hum Mol Genet. 2010 Apr 1;19(7):1165-73.
- Gurnett, C.A., Boehm, S. Connolly, AM, Reimschisel, T. Dobbs, MB. Impact of congenital talipes equinovarus etiology on treatment outcomes. Dev Med Child Neurol; 2008; 50:7; 498-502.
- Wallace KD, Marsh JN, Baldwin SL, Connolly AM, Keeling R, Lanza GM, Wickline SA, Hughes MS. Sensitive ultrasonic delineation of steroid treatment in living dystrophic mice with energy-based and entropy-based radio frequency signal processing. IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control. 2007 Nov;54(11):2291-9.
- Golumbek PT, Keeling RM, Connolly AM. RAG2 gene knockout in mice causes fatigue. Muscle Nerve. 2007 Oct;36(4):471-6.
- Hughes MS, Marsh JN, Wallace KD, Donahue TA, Connolly AM, Lanza GM, Wickline SA. Sensitive ultrasonic detection of dystrophic skeletal muscle in patients with duchenne muscular dystrophy using an entropy-based signal receiver. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2007 Aug;33(8):1236-43. Epub 2007 Apr 30.
- Golumbek PT, Keeling RM, Connolly AM. Strength and corticosteroid responsiveness of mdx mice is unchanged by RAG2 gene knockout. Neuromuscul Disord. 2007 May;17(5):376-84. Epub 2007 Apr 23.
- Keeling RM, Golumbek PT, Streif EM, Connolly AM. Weekly oral prednisolone improves survival and strength in male mdx mice. Muscle Nerve. 2007 Jan;35(1):43-8.
Dr. Connolly’s clinical activities involve inpatient and outpatient evaluation of children with neuromuscular disorders. These diseases include muscular dystrophies, neuropathies (inherited and acquired), and disorders of the motor neuron including spinal muscular atrophy. Her academic interests relate to better diagnosis and treatment of these children. Her research involves using mouse models to determine if pharmacologic therapies are likely to translate to children. She is also interested in the role of the immune system in acquired disorders of central nervous system. She does bedside teaching of medical students and pediatric, neurology and neuromuscular residents in training and teaches electrodiagnostic procedures including EMG and nerve conduction studies both in the clinic and as a contributor for the lecture series. She is also one of the Practice of Medicine teachers for the third year Medical students.
Dr. Connolly is a member of the Child Neurology Society and the American Academy of Neurology. Dr. Connolly is board certified in Pediatrics, Psychiatry and Neurology with special qualification in Child Neurology, and in Electrodiagnostic Medicine.
In my laboratory, we study mouse models of Duchenne and Congenital muscular dystrophy. I have also been interested in autoantibodies and have worked to characterize particular autoantigens in a variety acquired and inherited neurologic diseases affecting children.