Terri Hosto, LCSW, MSW
Assistant Professor of Neurology
I work in the clinical core of the Knight Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center (ADRC), where I assist in recruitment and screening of study volunteers, conduct intake interviews with new study participants, and provide education and counseling to study participants and collateral sources. I am co-chair of the Knight ADRC internal ethics committee and have previously chaired and/or served on committees within my professional social work organization (National Association of Social Workers (NASW)). I have prepared workshop sessions on gerontological topics for the annual NASW-Missouri statewide symposium and I have provided field instruction and supervision to over 30 masters of social work students, preparing them for advance practice in the fields of gerontology, health and mental health. One of my most rewarding activities is serving as a volunteer support group facilitator for the Alzheimer Association and the American Parkinson Disease Association local chapters in St. Louis. I have also contributed newsletter articles to both organizations, as well as served on their various services committees. These experiences have allowed me to form a link between older adults and community services. I am particularly interested in the bio-psychosocial challenges older adults face and strengthening relationships between older adults, their families, and health care practitioners.
- 1980, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, University of Illinois
- 1980, Social Work National Honor Society, University of Illinois
- 1985-1986, Academic scholarship, Business & Professional Women’s Club, Highland, Illinois
- 2011, Dorismae and Harvey A. Friedman Award for Excellence in Patient-Oriented Care,Education, or Research on Aging or Aging Issues, Friedman Center for Aging, Washington University in St. Louis
- 1981, Bachelor of Social Work: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1983, Graduate Certificate in Gerontology: Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
- 1986, Master of Social Work: University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
- 1986, Specialist in Aging Certificate: Institute of Gerontology, Univ. of Michigan
- Hosto T, Rengo R, Grant EA, Edwards DF, Morris JC: Factors associated with institutionalization at different stages of dementia of the Alzheimer type. American Geriatrics Society, May 1991 (poster presentation).
- Buckles VD, Powlishta KK, Palmer JL, Coats M, Hosto T, Buckley A, Morris JC: Understanding of informed consent by demented individuals. Neurology 61:1662-1666, Dec 2003.
- Hosto T, Powlishta KK, Eun C, Morris JC: The influence of depression in the prediction of cognitive performance in persons with DAT. 9th International Conference on Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders, July 2004 (poster presentation).
- “Alzheimer’s Disease: The Nursing Home Decision.” Presented at educational meeting of Madison County Association of Activity and Social Service Directors, Highland, Illinois, April 18, 1990.
- “Social Workers’ Role with the Family.” Presented at educational meeting of Social Workers in Long Term Care, St. Louis, Missouri, March 8, 1994
- Hosto T: Psychosocial management and coping strategies. In: Living with and Managing Parkinson’s Disease: An Educational Facilitator’s Training Manual. American Parkinson Disease Association, Greater St. Louis Chapter, 1996.
- “Psychological Aspects of Chronic Illness.” Presented at American Parkinson Disease Association Support Group Facilitators Seminar, St. Louis, Missouri, September 27, 1996.
- “Innovations in Geriatric Care: Home Care.” Co-presenter at Empowering the Gerontological Professional Conference presented by The Jewish Community Centers Association, BJC Health System and the American Association of Healthcare Administrators-Missouri Chapter, St. Louis, Missouri, December 6, 1996
- “Alzheimer’s Disease Update.” Presented at educational meeting of Supportive Services Coordinators of St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri, October 1998.
- Hosto T: Dementia in Parkinson’s Disease. Saint Louis Parkinson Newsletter, #2, 2005.
- Hosto T: Disclosing the Diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease. Saint Louis Parkinson Newsletter, #3, 2006 and The American Parkinson Disease Association National Newsletter, Winter 2007.
- Hosto T: Support Groups Offer a Unique Experience. Saint Louis Parkinson Newsletter, #2, 2007 and The American Parkinson Disease Association Newsletter, Winter 2008.
- “Alzheimer’s Update: Why Early Detection Matters.” Presented at 2007 National Association of Social Workers-Missouri Chapter Annual Symposium, Osage Beach, Missouri, March 31, 2007
- “Alzheimer’s Disease Update.” (Panel presentation.) Presented at Practicum Partnership Program Continuing Education Event, St. Louis, Missouri, March 3, 2008.
- “Depression in the Elderly.” Presented at Clinician Partners Program, Knight Alzheimer Disease Research Center at Washington University in St. Louis, March 19, 2008.
- “Understanding Late-Life Depression.” Presented at 2009 National Association of Social Workers-Missouri Chapter Annual Symposium, Lake Ozark, Missouri, March 14, 2009
- Hosto T: Facing Parkinson’s Disease Together: Keys to Sharing the Care. Newsletter of the American Parkinson Disease Association, St. Louis Chapter, Vol. 24, Issue 2, May 2010.
- “Parkinson’s Disease: A Guide for Social Workers.” Presented at 2012 National Association of Social Workers-Missouri Chapter Annual Symposium, Lake Ozark, Missouri, March 18, 2012.
- “Caring for the Caregivers.” Co-presenter at 2013 Saint Louis University Summer Geriatric Institute, St. Louis, Missouri, June 11, 2013.
- “What’s Behind the Health Headlines?” Presented at 2014 National Association of Social Workers-Missouri Chapter Annual Symposium, Lake Ozark, Missouri, March 16, 2014.
- Hosto T: Beating Caregiver Guilt. Newsletter of the American Parkinson Disease Association, St. Louis Chapter, Vol. 28, Issue 3, August 2014 and Newsletter of the Minnesota American Parkinson Disease Association, Spring 2015.
- Hosto T: With support, Alzheimer’s patients can live fulfilling lives. Senior Focus column, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 01-15-2015.
- “Social work considerations in Alzheimer disease.” Co-presenter at the weekly seminar of the Knight Alzheimer Disease Research Center at Washington University in St. Louis, September 1, 2015.
- Hosto T: Telling Others You Have Parkinson Disease. Newsletter of the American Parkinson Disease Association, St. Louis Chapter, Vol. 30, Issue 2, May 2016.