Bradley L. Schlaggar, MD, PhD
Dr. Schlaggar is the Head of the Division of Pediatric and Developmental Neurology. He is also the A. Ernest and Jane G. Stein Associate Professor of Developmental Neurology, in Neurology and a Professor of Radiology, Anatomy & Neurobiology, and Pediatrics.
Dr. Schlaggar is the 1993 recipient of the Wendel S. Krieg Cortical Scholars Award, the 1994 Irwin Levy Prize in Neurology and Neurosurgery, and the 1997 ASSIST (American Stop Smoking Intervention Study) Community Leadership Award. He was presented with the Outstanding Fellow Teacher Award at St. Louis Children's Hospital in 1998.
In 2002 he received a Burroughs Welcome Fund Career Award in Biomedical Sciences, a John Merck Scholars Fund Award in the Neurobiology of Developmental Disabilities, a Dana Foundation Clinical Hypotheses in Neuroimaging Award, and a grant from the McDonnell Center for Higher Brain Function.
In 2003 he received the Child Neurology Society Young Investigator Award.
In 2005 he was a finalist for the Pediatric Academic Society Young Investigator Award.
In 2007 he was awarded the Tourette Syndrome Association Humanitarian of the Year Award.
In 2009 he was awarded the Norman Geschwind Prize in Behavioral Neurology by the American Academy of Neurology
He has been listed annually in the "Best Doctors in America" since 2005 for Child Neurology.
Dr. Schlaggar is a member of the Society for Neuroscience, the Cognitive Neuroscience Society, the Organization for Human Brain Mapping, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Child Neurology Society, the American Academy of Neurology, and the Society for Research in Child Development.
He is board certified in Neurology with Special Competence in Child Neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
Dr. Schlaggar's current research efforts are directed at brain activation studies in development and plasticity of human cognition and language using functional MRI. His clinical responsibilities include pediatric movement disorders, pediatric stroke, and hemiplegic cerebral palsy. His graduate work explored the specification of neocortical areas.
Originally from Chicago, Illinois, Dr. Schlaggar received his Honors ScB magna cum laude in Neural Science from Brown University in 1986, and his MD and PhD degrees from Washington University School of Medicine in 1994. He completed residency training in Pediatric Medicine at St. Louis Children's Hospital (SLCH), and in Adult Neurology at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, before completing his Fellowship in Pediatric Neurology at SLCH in 1999.
Selected Publications (Since 2002)
1. B.L. Schlaggar, T.T. Brown, H.L. Lugar, K.M. Visscher, F.M. Miezin, and S.E. Petersen, (2002) Functional neuroanatomical differences between adults and school-age children in the processing of single words. Science, 296, 1476-1479.
2. E.D. Burgund, H-S.C. Kang, A.Z. Snyder, S.E. Petersen, and B.L. Schlaggar. (2002) The Feasibility of a common stereotactic space for adults and children in fMRI studies of development, NeuroImage, 17:184-200.
3. B. Abou-Khalil and B.L. Schlaggar. (2002) Is it time to replace the Wada test? Editorial. Neurology, 59:160-161.
4. H-S.C. Kang, E.D. Burgund, H.L. Lugar, S.E. Petersen, and B.L. Schlaggar. (2003) Comparison of Functional Activation Foci in Children and Adults Using a Common Stereotactic Space. NeuroImage, 19:16-28.
5. B.L. Schlaggar and J Mink. (2003) Movement Disorders in Children. Pediatrics in Review, 24:39-51.
6. J.L. Nelles, H.M. Lugar, R. Coalson, F.M. Miezin, S.E. Petersen, and B.L. Schlaggar. (2003) An automated method for extracting response latencies of subject vocalizations in event-related fMRI experiments. NeuroImage, 20:1865-71.
7. K.K. Wenger, K.M. Visscher, F.M. Miezin, S.E. Petersen, and B.L. Schlaggar. (2004) Comparison of sustained and transient activity in children and adults using a mixed blocked/event-related fMRI design. NeuroImage, 22:975-985.
8. E.D. Palmer, T.T. Brown, S.E. Petersen, and B.L. Schlaggar. (2004) Investigation of the functional neuroanatomy of single word reading and its development. Scientific Studies of Reading, 8:203-224.
9. Brown T.T., Lugar H.M., Coalson R.S., Miezin, F.M., Petersen, S.E., Schlaggar, B.L. (2005) Maturational changes in human cerebral functional organization for word generation. Cerebral Cortex, 15:275-290.
10. Burgund, E.D., Lugar, H.M., Schlaggar, B.L., & Petersen, S.E. (2005) Task demands modulate sustained and transient neural activity during visual matching tasks. NeuroImage, 25:511-519.
11. Burgund, E.D., Lugar, H.M., Miezin, F.M., Schlaggar, B.L., Petersen, S.E. (2006) The Development of Sustained and Transient Neural Activity. NeuroImage, 29: 812-821.
12. Burgund, E.D., Schlaggar, B.L., Petersen, S.E. (2006) Development of letter-specific processing: The effect of reading ability. Acta Psychologia, 122(1):99-108
13. Dosenbach, N.U.F., Visscher, K.M., Palmer, E.D., Miezin, F.M., Wenger, K.K., Kang, H.C., Burgund, E.D., Grimes, A.L., Schlaggar, B.L., and Petersen, S.E. (2006). A core system for the implementation of task sets. Neuron, 50, 799-812.
14. Fair, D.A., Brown, T.T., Petersen, S.E., & Schlaggar, B.L. (2006) A comparison of analysis of variance and correlation methods for investigating cognitive development with fMRI. Developmental Neuropsychology, 30(1):531-546.
15. Brown, T.T., Petersen, S.E., Schlaggar, B.L. (2006) Does human functional brain organization shift from different to focal with development? Developmental Science, 9(3): 9-10.
16. Aslin, R.N., Schlaggar, B.L. (2006) Is myelination the precipitating neural event for language development in infants and toddlers? Editorial. Neurology, 66:304-305.
17. Fair, D., Brown, T., Petersen, S. & Schlaggar, B.L. (2006) fMRI reveals novel functional neuroanatomy in a child with perinatal stroke. Neurology, 67(12):2246-9.
18. Schlaggar, B.L. (2007) Are we ready for a Neuropedagogy? Review of "Educating the Human Brain" by M. Posner and M. Rothbart. PsycCritiques, published on-line.
19. Fair, D.A., Schlaggar, B.L., Cohen, A.L., Miezin, F.M., Dosenbach, N.U.F., Wenger, K.K., Fox, M.D., Snyder, A.Z., Raichle, M.E., Petersen, S.E. (2007) A method for using blocked and event-related fMRI data to study "Resting State" functional connectivity. Neuroimage. 35(1):396-405. (PMC2563954)
20. Dosenbach, N.U.F., Fair, D.A., Miezin, F.M., Cohen, A.L., Wenger, K.K., Dosenbach, R.A.T., Fox, M.D., Snyder, A.Z., Vincent, J.L., Raichle, M.E., Schlaggar, B.L., Petersen, S.E. (2007) Distinct brain networks for adaptive and stable task control in humans. Proc Nat Acad Sci. 104(26):11073-11078. (PMC1904171)
21. Zeff, B.W., White, B.R., Dehghani, H., Schlaggar, B.L., Culver, J.P. (2007) Retinotopic mapping of adult human visual cortex with high-density diffuse optical tomography. Proc Nat Acad Sci. 104(29):12169-12174. (PMC1924577)
22. Schlaggar, B.L., McCandliss, B.D. (2007) Development of neural systems for reading. Annual Reviews of Neuroscience. 30:475-503.
23. Fair, D.A., Dosenbach, N.U.F., Church, J.A., Cohen, A.L., Miezin, F.M., Barch, D., Petersen, S.E., Schlaggar, B.L. (2007) Development of distinct task control networks through segregation and integration. Proc Nat Acad Sci. 104(33):13507-13512. (PMC1940033)
24. Dosenbach, N.U., Fair, D.A., Cohen, A.L., Schlaggar, B.L., Petersen, S.E. (2008) A dual-networks architcture of top-down control. Trends in Cognitive Science, 12(3):99-105.
25. Fair, D.A., Dosenbach, N.U.F., Church, J.A., Cohen, A.L., Miezin, F.M., Barch, D., Petersen, S.E., Schlaggar, B.L. (2008) The Maturing Architecture of the Brain's Default Network. Proc Nat Acad Sci., 105:4028-4032. (PMC2268790)
26. Church, J.A., Coalson, R.S., Lugar, H.M., Petersen, S.E., Schlaggar, B.L. (2008) A developmental fMRI study of reading and repetition reveals changes in phonological and visual mechanisms over age. Cerebral Cortex, 18:2054-2065. (PMC2517103 [Available on 2009/09/01])
27. Cohen L.A., Fair, D.A., Dosenbach, N.U.F., Miezin, F.M., Dierker, D., Van Essen, D.C., Schlaggar, B.L., Petersen, S.E. (2008) Defining Functional Areas in Individual Human Brains using Resting Functional Connectivity MRI. NeuroImage, 41:45-57.
28. Becker, D.B., Coalson, R.S., Sachanandani, N.S., Fair, D.A., Lugar, H.M., Kirchner, L.E., Schlaggar, B.L., Kane, A.A (2008). Functional neuroanatomy of lexical processing in children with cleft lip and palate. Plast Reconstr Surg. 122:1371-82.
29. Schlaggar, B.L., Church J.A. (2009) Functional Neuroimaging Insights into the Development of Skilled Reading. Current Directions in Psychological Sciences. 18: 21-26.
30. Church, J.A., Fair, D.A., Dosenbach. N.U.F., Cohen, A.L., Miezin, F.M., Petersen, S.E., Schlaggar, B.L. (2009) Control networks in pediatric Tourette syndrome show immature and anomalous patterns of functional connectivity. Brain, 132:225-238. (PMC2638693 [Available on 2010/01/01])
31. Ihnen, S.K.Z., Church, J.A., Petersen, S.E., Schlaggar, B.L. (2009) Lack of generalizability of sex differences in the fMRI BOLD activity associated with language processing in adults. NeuroImage, 45(3):1020-1032. (PMC2656426 [Available on 2010/04/15])
32. White, B.R., Snyder, A.Z., Cohen, A.L., Petersen, S.E., Raichle, M.E., Schlaggar, B.L., Culver, J.P. (2009) Resting-state functional connectivity in the human brain revealed with diffuse optical tomography. In Press, NeuroImage.
33. Fair, D.A., Cohen, A.L., Power, J.D., Dosenbach, N.U.F., Church, J.A., Miezin, F.M., Schlaggar, B.L., Petersen, S.E. (2009) Functional Brain Networks Develop from a "Local to Distributed" Organization. PLoS Comput Biol 5(5): e1000381. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000381 (PMC2671306)
1. Schlaggar, B.L. and Bahr, M. (2003) "Central Nervous System Malformations and Neurocutaneous Syndromes" in Course and Treatment of Neurological Disorders. Academic Press; Brandt, Caplan, Dichgans, Diener, and Kennard eds.
2. Schlaggar, B.L. (2008)"Chorea" in Current Management in Child Neurology, 4th ed. B.C. Decker; Maria ed.
3. Schlaggar, B.L., Kornberg, A., and Prensky, A. (2006) "Cerebrovascular Disease in Children" in Oski's Pediatrics: Principles and Practice, 4th ed. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; McMillan, DeAngelis, Feigin, and Warshaw eds.
4. Fair, D.A. and Schlaggar, B.L. "Brain Development" in Encyclopedia of Infant and Early Childhood Development. Elsevier; Haith and Benson eds. In Press.
5. Fair, D.A. and Schlaggar, B.L. "Brain Development and CNS Plasticity" in Imaging in CNS Drug Discovery and Development. SPI Boo; Borsook ed. In Press.
© 2006-2012 Washington University School of Medicine